PSG forward Lionel Messi’s future remains a hot topic of debate, but his father has made clear some reports are wide of the mark.
Lionel Messi’s father Jorge has claimed “fake news” is being spread about the superstar forward’s future at Paris Saint-Germain.
Argentina international Messi is out of contract at the Parc des Princes at the end of the campaign, fueling talk of his next career move.
A report this week suggested PSG were unwilling to accept Messi’s wage demands over a new deal, while another claimed he was demanding €600m to join Saudi side Al Hilal.
It was also claimed on Friday that Messi had left training earlier this week due to disagreements with head coach Christophe Galtier.
However, Jorge Messi condemned all three articles on social media on Friday.
“When will you stop lying?” posted on his personal Instagram account along with screenshots from the three articles.
“Where’s the proof? Oh, it’s all fake. OK. No matter how loudly it’s said. Don’t believe it. We will no longer tolerate fake news to gain followers.”
Messi has 18 goals and 17 assists in 31 games for PSG this season, but was criticized for his performance in the last Champions League exit against Bayern Munich in 16 years.
Asked about the World Cup winner’s future at a press conference on Friday, Galtier said: “I know that Leo Messi and the board have been in talks.
“As for whether Leo Messi will be here next season or not, I said it’s about desire. I know people are debating that, but Leo Messi is happy in the dressing room.
“He has 18 goals and 17 assists this season. I know there was some criticism about the [Champions League] game against Bayern Munich, but he wasn’t the only one.
“As for his future, it’s too early to know what will happen.
Messi, who has also been heavily linked with a move to Major League Soccer, is in line to start PSG’s Ligue 1 meeting with Rennes at the Parc des Princes on Sunday.