Barcelona coach Xavi applauded the decision by a court to overrule LaLiga’s refusal to register Gavi as a first-team player.
The Blaugrana midfielder, who has been in fine form for the club this term, signed a new deal in September that saw him recognized as a first-team player rather than a B-team member.
But LaLiga refused to register a new contract due to the club’s financial situation, with Barca exceeding their salary cap.
While Gavi could continue to play for the senior team as a B team player this season, he would be registered in LaLiga under a contract that expires in 2024 and has a €50m release clause – the deal he signed in September is until 2026 with a release clause of EUR 1 billion.
LaLiga president Javier Tebas has warned that the club will still not be able to register Gavi and other players such as Ronald Aruajo because they have a “deficit of more than 200 million euros”, he said on Monday.
But now a court ruling has overturned LaLiga’s decision, pleasing Xavi and paving the way for the 18-year-old to be fully registered as a member of their senior squad.
“It’s great news,” said Xavi. “It was one of the goals we set for this transfer window. Now the ball is in LaLiga’s court.”
“I’m happy for [Gavi]. We hope he can sign up. It’s very good news for us. The priority is to have such important players like him insured. It seems we can sign him up now.
“I can’t see him changing teams, really. He’s very happy here and happy. I can’t see him leaving.”
Asked if he felt Tebas had bad feelings towards Barca, Xavi added: “I don’t know. Ask him.
“I know him very little. I have greeted him twice. I have no personal dealings with him.”
Gavi made 18 appearances for Barca in LaLiga this season and appeared in five of six Champions League games as the club were relegated to the Europa League.
He also played four times in the World Cup last year.