Having bounced back from a shock defeat to Saudi Arabia on their debut, Lionel Messi and co are once again with their confidence through the roof. Argentina arrived in Qatar as strong contenders and are now favorites to make a deep run.
However, the Socceroos have already shown their credentials at this World Cup. Australia beat Tunisia before pulling off an upset against Denmark that saw them book their place in the next round. Although it has been a long time, these nations have clashed in the past.
Argentina vs. Australia: Head-to-Head
Argentina and Australia have met on seven occasions, though Saturday’s game will be the first World Cup meeting between them. La Albiceleste have the upper hand in the all-time series with 5 victories, a draw and just one loss:
- 1988: Australia 4-1 Argentina (Friendly)
- 1992: Argentina 2-0 Australia (Friendly)
- October 1993: Australia 1-1 Argentina (World Cup Inter-continental playoffs)
- November 1993: Argentina 1-0 Australia (World Cup Inter-continental playoffs)
- 1995: Argentina 2-0 Australia (Friendly)
- 2005: Argentina 4-2 Australia (FIFA Confederations Cup)
- 2007: Argentina 1-0 Australia (Friendly)