For many years, there was no Argentine player worth more than Lionel Messi. That’s no longer the case, as another star of Lionel Scaloni’s squad has a higher market value than the PSG superstar, according to Transfermarkt.
Lionel Messi’s first international match in Argentina at the age of 18 may not have gone as planned, as he saw a red card 45 minutes after coming off the bench. However, it did not take long for her to achieve what she set out to do.
When the Rosario-born winger first made his debut for Barcelona, he became an unbeaten player at La Albiceleste. Finally, Messi was given the number 10 shirt – in Barca and in the national team, like Diego Maradona.
Despite playing with other superstars, no other Argentine player came close to what Messi represented in the current season. Considered a world-class player for many years, it came as no surprise that his market value was the highest. But things may have changed since he was 35, although he continues to be a prominent player in his home country.
Lionel Messi is no longer the Argentine player with the highest market value
As a player grows, his market value will likely decrease. Messi is no different from that rule, and his poor first season with Paris Saint-Germain may not have helped him.
According to Transfermarkt, Messi is no longer a key player in the Argentine national team. Currently, it is Inter Milan striker Lautaro Martinez who has the highest market value in Lionel Scaloni.
Reasonable from a financial point of view, Lautaro is ten years younger than Leo – Martinez turns 25 in August. However, that does not mean that he is better. If you ask who is the best player in Argentina, most will agree that he continues to be Leo, regardless of his market value.
Top 10 most valuable players in the Argentina national team
Although no longer in the top flight, Messi is still more valuable than most of his teammates at 35 years of age. These are the 10 most important players in Argentina according to Transfermarkt:
- Lautaro Martinez (ST, 24 years old, Inter Milan) – $82.50 million
- Lionel Messi (RW, 35 years old, PSG) – $55 million
- Cristian Romero (CB, 24 years old, Tottenham) – $52.80 million
- Rodrigo de Paul (CM, 28 years old, Atletico Madrid) – $44 million
- Paulo Dybala (CAM, 28 years old, Free Agent) – $38.50 million
- Lisandro Martinez (CB, 24 years old, Ajax) – $35.20 million
- Emiliano Martinez (GK, 29 years old, Aston Villa) – $30.80 million
- Guido Rodriguez (CDM, 28 years old, Real Betis) – $27.50 million
- Juan Foyth (CB, 24 years old, Villarreal) – $27.50 million
- Nicolas Gonzalez (LW, 24 years old, Fiorentina) – $27.50 million