Andreas Christensen hopes he will soon be able to announce his next club after leaving Chelsea, as the Dane fuelled speculation he will join Barcelona by hailing the Blaugrana as one of Europe’s biggest clubs.
Chelsea announced the departure of Christensen last week, with a defender linked closely with Barca.
Christensen joined Chelsea from Brondby in 2012 and after a loan spell with Borussia Monchengladbach, he continued his 161 Blues appearance, winning the Europa League, Champions League, UEFA Super Cup and FIFA Club World Cup while at Stamford Bridge.
Having played all 90 minutes during Denmark’s 2-0 Nations League win over Austria on Monday, the 26-year-old hopes to announce his destination soon, as he has done in the past.
“I know where I have to play,” the defender told reporters.
Pressured by the timing of an announcement about her future, she replied: “Unfortunately, it is not entirely up to me. There are other things to do.
“I hope soon. But I already know what I was going to do for a while. I’m waiting for the right moment.”
Barcelona have been plagued by financial problems in recent years, and LaLiga president Javier Tebas recently suggested that Xavi’s team should sell valuable assets – such as midfielder Frankkie de Jong – to support any rebuilding of their team during the transfer window.
However, Christensen, who is said to be giving the tournament to Barca defenders right now, Gerard Pique and Ronald Araujo, says Barca is a team that would be interested in any player.
“It is one of the largest groups in Europe,” he added. “I think it’s for everyone.
“Whether they have their problems or not, it’s still one of the biggest clubs for a player to get to.”