Manchester United’s preparations for the second leg of the Last 16 UEFA Champions League match against Atletico Madrid were disrupted after Bruno Fernandes and Luke Shaw were tested for COVID-19.
Fernandes had already been ruled out of Manchester United’s Tottenham victory on Saturday after falling ill.
Ralf Rangnick said he would have to wait and see if Fernandes could attend the game at Old Trafford on Tuesday evening.
Fernandes has scored nine goals and has signed 14 assists in all competitions this season, so his absence could have a big impact on Rangnick’s side.
At the time, Shaw was also hesitant to face Diego Simeone’s side because of COVID-19.
“Luke [Shaw] hopes he will return to training on Monday and Bruno [Fernandes] will have to wait until Tuesday,” said Rangnick.
“This is probably going to be a last-minute race with him – thanks to the COVID-19.”
David de Gea was initially dropped from Spurs after being tested for COVID-19, but started scoring after returning a negative test.
Midfielder Scott McTominay has been ruled out of action for Spurs with a hamstring injury, but could return to XI starting Tuesday night.